About the department
The Department of Mechanical Engineering consists of a team of well qualified teaching staff members. All the staff members have post graduate degrees, 8 of the staff members are doctorates. The staff members of the Mechanical Engineering Department have taken up a number of research projects funded by many external agencies like BARC, KCTU, IE(I), and VTU-VGST the sanctioned funding amounts to the tune of Rs. 2.4 Crores. Faculty members from the department have published papers in Journals of different domains of Mechanical Engineering. Some of the staff members are part of Board of Studies and Board of Examinations Visvesvaraya Technological University. The department has also contributed in developing intellectual property for the institute by obtaining patents.
The Department has well equipped laboratories and infrastructure facilities to facilitate students in acquiring hands on experience in addition to classroom learning. Most of the graduating students avail offers from the reputed industries in India/abroad, the department of Mechanical Engineering strongly recommends the continuation of education and the development of research skills of the individuals.
In addition to academics and research, the department also focuses on guiding the students towards discipline and responsibility.
The library is exclusive to the students and faculty of Mechanical Engineering Department. The library regularly updates its inventory with the latest developments in Mechanical Engineering Research.
To Be a Centre of Academic and Research Excellence In Mechanical Engineering to Fulfill Societal Needs
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Quick Facts about the department
The Department of Mechanical Engineering offers B.E (UG) and M.Tech (PG) in Machine Design courses. The department has highly qualified, knowledgeable and dedicated faculty to provide qualitative, Industry tuned education to students. The department provides state of the art facility for the students and faculty in the form of technically equipped Research & development Center. The students are well versed with the technical aspects in order to achieve the goals of modern technology.